RSS feeds have made it so convenient to gather current information. If you have an RSS Reader on your desktop, then from this one window you can get up-to-date information from any sources of your choice, such as:
1. Latest news from news agencies
2. Last articles published on ezines such as this one
3. New products at retail outlets
4. New movie reviews
5. Recent entries in blogs
The list is endless, but you get the idea.
How would you like to give this convenience to the visitors of your website? Your visitors can see RSS feeds with latest info right on your web page instead of going from site to site. And it is very easy to install.
Before you start I suggest that you see some sites which display RSS feeds just to get a feel of it. You can see your My.Yahoo page from where you can subscribe to any RSS feed you want. Or, if you like, you can see some popular feeds on my website:
Ok, let's get started with these easy steps.
1. Click open this page :
2. From "Step One" of this page select just one RSS feed out of the dropdown list.
3. Lower on the page in "Step Two" you will see some options. In these options you can fill in your values or leave them at default setting.
4. Click on update button.
5. A similar looking page opens. Down below on this page in "Step Three" there is a code which has to be installed on your website. Copy this code and paste it on a text editor. On right side of the page you can see how the feed will look on your page.
6. Go to step 2 and select some other RSS feeds. Repeat steps 3 to 5 and you will have a collection of codes to be installed on your website.
7. Select the web page where you want to install RSS feeds. I would suggest creating a new page exclusively for RSS feeds.
8. Decide the location on the web page for installing RSS feed. In the HTML code of the web page, paste one of the codes of RSS feeds at the location you have decided.
9. See how RSS feeds looks on your page. You will need to be connected to the net to see the feeds. You can make necessary corrections until you get the right appearance.
10. Add all other RSS feed codes below the first one. Separate each code with breaks. This will put all the feeds in one column.
So that's it. Simple steps. This will display some popular RSS feeds on your web site using Java. From this starting point you can think of installing other Java scripts or PHP scripts to display any RSS feeds of your choice.
Sanjay Johari regularly contrubutes articles for several ezines. See his site for useful information for benefit of small business owners.