The process of clearing credit can be laborious and frustrating, but your efforts will be paid for in better financing. Your rights are protected by laws, but you need to take reasonable actions toward your goal of clearing credit discrepancies. You can get the credit reporting agencies to help you instead of hindering your excellent credit quest with these tips.
1. Order credit reports.
2. Check for discrepancies.
3. Note problems and discrepancies in your Credit Dispute Log.
4. Contact disputed companies by telephone. (Contact original debtors, not collectors.)
Log the telephone call with a brief summary of agreements.
Remember to record the name of the contact representative.
5. Follow up with certified letter to original company.
6. Write letters to collectors, dispute bill, send documentation of payment to original company.
7. Fill out dispute form provided by credit bureau.
8. Write separate letter for each disputed item to credit bureaus.
Send letters by certified mail.
Enclose copies of supporting documentation.
9. Use the number provided by the credit bureau and call for progress; have your reference number handy.
10. Keep comprehensive records in your Credit File.
These ten steps will help you finance your dreams.
Copyright © 2006by Jeanette J. Fisher. All rights reserved.
Forget what you've been told about credit. "Credit Help!" author Professor Jeanette Fisher was forced into becoming a credit expert. She loves helping people buy houses. Get the credit you need to buy one house or twenty. Visit Real Estate Credit Help Center: http://www.recredithelp.com
Subscribe to Credit Help! Tips. Send a blank email to CreditTips at reCreditHelp.com