It can be difficult to get over a divorce and cope with a divorce when you are in pain. A ton of emotions and indecisiveness consumes you. There is a simple process to help the serious individual get over a divorce.
Very few people stay with the same individual for over twenty years. Therefore, a divorce is inevitable. Yet, hearing the words, "Uh well, I don't know how to say this but I want to divorce" still hurts.
Immediately, there is emotional turmoil. A thought such as, "Divorce! Divorce! How could this happen?" is a common response.
One of the best ways to move forward with your life after a divorce is to stay focus on your personal and professional goals.
A slight shift in how a person views life can bring about monumental changes within a short amount of time. On average, it takes approximately two to three years to get over a divorce.
While it is usually not mentioned, there are some benefits in experiencing a divorce and recovering from a divorce.
- Less stress - No one there to nag you all the time
- Less arguments - No one there to pick fights with you
- More time for self - Freedom to indulge in hobbies more often
- Able to focus better and for longer periods of time - Less distractions at home
- More control over our life - No one pressuring you to do things
- Able to see where you made your mistakes - Become more clear in your thinking
It is time to move on with your life after a divorce when:
- A myriad of emotions often distract you
- Thoughts of why the relationship did not work consumes every waking moment
- Your performance on the job begins to decrease substantially and people notice it
- It feels as though the world is collapsing around you
It does not take much to get over a divorce. What is required is consistent effort and dedication to improve one's life. Now suck it up and start moving forward.
Shawn Nelson, MSA is a Motivational Speaker, Life Counselor and Author who creates guides, e-Courses and run several web sites that help people achieve their relationship, personal, life and professional goals. To learn more visit the Get Over A Divorce and Divorce Recovery web site.