"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts."
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Goal Setting - A Valuable Lesson
This week I was reminded of a valuable lesson. I had been working on a personal goal for quite some time and, although I was very close to reaching my goal, I didn't make it. The pain of not achieving my goal was much more than I expected. Instead of seeing all that I had accomplished, I could only focus on what I didn't do. After giving myself some time to lament the outcome, I stepped back to take an objective look and find the perfection in the event. Here's the insight I gained:
1. Be detached from the outcome - I was so focused on the goal that I was trying to force an outcome rather than being open to other possibilities.
2. Enjoy the journey ? "success is a journey not a destination" (Deepak Chopra) - By being focused on the outcome, I forgot to enjoy the process and all the knowledge and experience I gained along the way.
3. Be grateful ? When I did look back, it was apparent that I had a great deal for which to be grateful, including lots of support and encouragement.
4. Forgiveness ? I needed to forgive myself, accept responsibility and let go of the need to place blame.
5. Live in the present moment ? I cannot change the past, so there is no reason for me to rehash what could have been. Looking at my life I can see that the present moment is wonderful, and that's where I want to be.
6. Finding perfection in apparent failure ? Now I can clearly see how perfect the outcome was. To be reminded of all of these teachings and gain new insight is a far better achievement than the one I thought I had to have.
What can you learn from my experience? Take a look at what goals you have set for yourself. Are you rigidly attached to a particular outcome? What if you remain open to all possibilities by keeping your desire but letting go of the need for it to happen in only one way? Being open to all ways that your desire could be fulfilled greatly expands the potential of what you will receive. Here's some actions you can take:
1. Look at your current goals and ask "What can I do to enjoy the process and be detached from the outcome?"
2. Read The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra.
3. Find the perfection (bigger picture) in any setbacks.
Most of all enjoy the journey!
Copyright March 2005
As a Life Transition Coach I work with clients to identify what's most important to them and prioritize around these values. I help my clients identify and remove obstacles in the way and bring clarity and focus to their dreams. What is your dream? Are you undergoing a major transition and not clear where to turn? Call (972-306-4489) or email me, (email@example.com), to set up a complimentary, no obligation 30 minute coaching session. Download my FREE e-Book, 12 Fun Ways to Change Your Life, or sign up for my FREE monthly newsletter at http://www.thrivingthroughchange.com