Do you like your life the way it is? Would you like to change some, or all of it? Well, here's good news: You can be whatever you want to be. You can re-invent yourself. I know because I did!
You may have a whole lifetime to undo or re-invent, but if you are determined, and ready to put in the effort, anything is possible. You can have a new you!
Here are 7 steps to a new, improved, re-invented you!
1) Make two detailed lists comprising: (a) all the things you like about yourself and want to keep, (b) all the things you don't like about yourself and want to change. Examine both lists and ask yourself why you like what you like, and why you want to change what you want to change. Write out your answers as two separate statements. Keep these statements where you can see, and read them everyday.
2) Work on your "Want-to-Keep" list everyday. Keep on doing what you've been doing, and you'll keep on getting what you've been getting! Also, work on your "Want-to-Change" list everyday, but in a different way. Take each item on this second list and re-state it as a goal. Remember your goals must be Specific (clear and unambiguous), Measurable (a specific weight, time, sum of money etc), Attainable (within your stated time frame and resources), Realistic (in your eyes) and Tangible (something you can perceive with your senses, not "imagine" with your mind!)
3) From your "Want-to-Change" list, identify your 3 most important goals, the ones that will make the most impact on your life, and bring about the new you. Write out a day-by-day, step-by-step plan for attaining each of these goals.
4) Identify possible pitfalls or obstacles to your plan. Set up contingency plans to circumvent these hurdles. Do not stop at them. No one can stop you from reaching those goals but you.
5) Take action on your plan. Work those goals! Even a small step on your plan each day will move you closer to the new you! If you fall behind, or fall out altogether, just think of the lovely new life you stand to gain if you would just try. Imagine what it would look and feel like to be the new you. Know in your heart that it is possible, but it is also up to you. You owe it to yourself to get back up and on with the program. Only time, patience and action separate you from your goal.
6) Reward yourself for progress. Forgive yourself for slip-ups. Then move on. No time for Pity Parties!
7) Stay motivated. Think on your reasons for wanting to make the change. Visualize the outcome of your goals, vividly. Hang out with people who encourage you to keep at it. Stay away from negative people, at least till you "get there!" Read motivational books, employ a coach to help you stay on track. Enlist a supportive friend, to rejoice with you at each success, and encourage you at each challenge.
That's it! Re-inventing yourself will never be easy. You are going against patterns that may have been established for years. It will take determination, effort and patience, but it is possible, and ultimately rewarding.
I went through a process of re-invention a few years ago. I went from an overweight, unhealthy, plain-dressed, unfulfilled, job-holder, to a slim, trim, healthy, trendy, self-employed, fulfilled entrepreneur. Instead of holding a job, I now do my life's work. I am working my own goals, and getting the results I desire. I am still not all that I want to be. But I am closer to my goals than to my starting point. No one will ever be "picture-perfect" in this life. But "fulfilled and satisfied" is the name of the game for me! And I sure am glad I had the courage to try.
People and circumstances will oppose you, saying, "It isn't possible", or, "Why can't you just be satisfied with what you've got?" (The answer to that is, "Because I'm no ordinary person!") But if you think your dreams are worth the effort, and you are willing to do what it takes, you can have whatever you want.
Dreams still do come true. And you don't require a fairy god-mother! Setting and working your goals is how it works in the real world. So be bold, take action and enjoy the new you!
Copyright 2005 Oma Edoja
This article may be reprinted, but only if left as is, and must include the author's bio below.
Oma Edoja is a published writer, motivational speaker and infopreneur. She works with those trying to take their lives to the next level, helping them set goals and stay on track. Would you like to re-invent your life? Oma is here to help you. She can be reached at email@example.com , and her blog: http://omaslounge.blogspot.com Contact Oma for a complimentary goal-setting session, checklist and motivation.