Until recently being physically fit was of little concern to most golfers, but the tides of changes have recently taken hold of the golf world and only the strong will survive this tidal wave. Many of today's golfers are not only working with instructors but they also seek out assistance from strength and conditioning coaches or personal trainers to help them improve their physical skills, in hopes of being able to blast that little white ball a few more yards down the fairway.
I recently took a look at some of the more popular golf related websites and found little relevant information about how or what to do to physically prepare yourself for the game of golf. So I as sport performance strength and conditioning coach, I took it upon myself to take a look at the physical abilities required to perform a successful golf shot. I did a little research by looking at frame by frame analysis of several of pros; and I walked away with five key traits that every golfer must have in order to be proficient and powerful.
Here they are:
1. Trunk Flexibility - this allows the golfer rotate maximally during the back swing, while keeping the hips/pelvis "quiet" during the back swing.
2. Trunk Strength ? this allows for the production of large amounts of power as long as you swing mechanics are on queue. Keep in mind that it is necessary to build adequate amounts of flexibility before moving on to building strength
3. Hip Strength - this type of strength allows the golfer to make a successful transition from lateral movement to powerful rotation of the pelvis at the point of impact.
4. Spinal Stability - this allow for golfer to have a consistent set up for his golf shot as well as prevent possible back injury due to fatigue.
5. Wrist Strength/Endurance ? this will allow the golfer to establish and maintain a successful wrist set.
If you consistently work on these 5 areas in conjunction with enhancing you golf skills; not only will you have a pain free and more powerful golf game. You will be on the right path to shooting lower scores. Enjoy!
NOTE: Before beginning any exercise or dietary program, consult with your physician to ensure that you are in proper health and that this or any exercise or dietary program will not put you at risk.
Download your FREE Reports The 8 Keys To Golf Fitness Success and How To Build The Perfect Athlete For Any Sport ? GOLF. Troy maybe contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or called at 480.227.8090.
Troy M. Anderson, B.A., PES, CPT, is the owner of Integrated Evolution, LLC, in Tempe, AZ. The #1 goal of Integrated Evolution is to provide individuals with solutions to their performance enhancement needs. For more golf fitness tips, subscribe to The Blue Collar Fitness Report at http://www.integratedevolution.org