You CAN grab something to eat, enjoy every bite, AND help the planet...
In fact, here are a few ways:
1. Try 'green' convenience foods.
Behold, convenience foods that are environmentally friendly, well priced and...yummy!? Quick, stock up on pizza of all sorts, including PESTO, my fave...macaroni and cheese, chili, shepherd's pie, and lots more...???
One of the more frequently available brands of green frozen dinners is Amy's Kitchen.? Like several other labels which I'm dying to try, these meals are made from organic ingredients and come in recycled (and recyclable) packaging. Oh, and yes, they are completely vegetarian, but you honestly wouldn't know it.? Of course, it doesn't hurt that you can be eating within 10-20 minutes for most of these meals, either.? Amy's has saved my butt many a dinner time, let me tell you!
Find a store that stocks Amy's products by clicking on the 'Buy Amy's' link at this site: http://www.amyskitchen.com or, go further afield for to try different options at http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com and http://www.ecomall.com/biz/food.htm.
2. Try a 'green' restaurant.
Yes, there is such a thing.?
In fact, when in the U.S., you can refer to the Green Restaurant Association's Directory of restaurants at http://www.dinegreen.com and find green coffee houses, delis, restaurants and more.? These eating establishments have all been checked out, and regularly conserve energy, recycle, compost and just generally do their bit. Very cool indeed.
3. When eating fast food, try for little to NO garbage.
We all know fast food isn't the greatest for us, and yeah you guessed it, it isn't the greatest for the planet either, what with over-packaging, the emphasis on red meat, and many other things.? But if you're going to eat it, I say, 'please enjoy.'? And, while you're at it...here are a few things you can do to leave as little trash behind as possible.
- Eat in instead of taking out.? Hey, it's fast already, so why not sit down at least???? Eating in means you don't get an extra paper bag to carry out.? That bag usually gets used for a total of 5 seconds anyway right?
- Don't super-size, unless you have a legitimately super-sized appetite.? This keeps leftovers out of the garbage.? Very big deal!!
- Take only what condiments you need, and 'just say no' to that humungous wad of napkins they try to give you. Seriously, I think that's insulting actually...I have a burger, and I need ten napkins??!? Giggle.
- Share a drink, skip the straw, ask for the cookie in your hand not a bag.? Every little bit helps!
Andrea J. Lee is an award-winning author, speaker, entrepreneur and coach.
She is a rabid advocate for the planet who coaches online business owners in
the environmental niche market to be financially successful.? For more tips
on how you can help the planet and enjoy life at the same time, visit