Lots of people say to make your ads blend in. However, some people are having a lot of success by making their links stand out. The most effective style seems to be having your links blue, while your other links are a less-noticeable color. A good example can be seen at www.lockergnome.com
- Place images directly above your ads. This simple technique has been known to increase CTR by 400%. To keep the images fresh some people randomize related images on their site
using PHP code. You can see an example of these images at
- Google has cited the 336x280 large rectangle as the most effective ad size.
- Place ads where your visitors will likely be focused.
Check out this heat map by Google -
- Weave your articles into your content. This is shown at
- Place link units in the top left-hand corner. This part of
the website has shown to be clicked on more than any other
part of the page. You can see an example at lockergnome.com.
(Look at the links at the top, towards the left in blue.)
- Take advantage of the "alternate URL" feature to avoid Public Service Ads that seep money away from your website.
- One of the best things you can do is add additional pages
to your site. A web site with thousands of pages and tons of
content often does very well in the search engines. You can
get free content from article directories. You could also use public domain content, which is a favorite tactic of John Reese. Or, you could use content in the creative commons. This is getting easier than ever now that Yahoo and others have created a search engine specifically for content in the creative commons.
Succeeding with adsense is largely determined by the amount of traffic to your site. However, there are many adsense tricks that you can employ to get the most possible out of your site. Often times, this means doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling your earnings. The key is to find out what works for your web site. Testing and tracking is the key to increased revenue!
Alli Ross is the marketing chick at http://www.stickyarticle.com, where you can submit your articles for free exposure.