Whether you want to be a part time, full time or BIG time speaker you must speak, speak, speak. At first, deliver 25-30 minute free talks to service clubs and community organizations. Consider it to be your off-Broadway tryout. A great opportunity to fine-tune your program?and maybe get some future paid business!
Do the following to put at ease when delivering a speech:
1. Your speech needs a beginning, middle, and end. You must grab your audience's attention in the first minute?so begin with a starting comment, question, story, or humor. End your speech on a strong note by asking a question, providing a quote, tell a story or leave them laughing.
2. Every 5-7 minutes, back up your facts with signature (about you or others) stories. Stories are out there ? everywhere. Find them in the stores, at restaurants, on the airplane, at home. People retain information better when hearing a story.
3. Practice your speech out load. Record it on to a tape recorder and/or video camera. Also do this when giving a program to a live audience. Do it every time!
4. Practice pausing before and after important points. Don't be afraid to leave open space. The use of silence is a key requirement to becoming an effective speaker.
5. Use direct eye contact. You can focus on one person when making a point?and everyone else in the audience will think you are speaking to them also.
6. Don't just stand behind the lectern: move around, gesture. Be animated. (Fifty-five percent of how people perceive you is by body language; 38 percent by your voice; 7 percent by your words)
7. Smile a lot. Be enthusiastic about what you are saying. And have fun.
?2004 by Sandra Schrift. All rights reserved
Publishing Guidelines: You are welcome to publish this article in its entirety, electronically, or in print fre*e of charge, as long as you include my full signature file for ezines, and my Web site address (http://www.schrift.com) in hyperlink for other sites. Please send a courtesy link or email where you publish to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
About The Author
Sandra Schrift 13 year speaker bureau owner and now career coach to emerging and veteran public speakers who want to "grow" a profitable speaking business. I also work with business professionals and organizations who want to master their presentations. To find out How to Become a Highly Paid Professional Speaker, go to http://www.schrift.com/ProfessionalSpeaker/. Join my free bi-weekly Monday Morning Mindfulness ezine http://www.schrift.com/monday.htm