Successful salespeople have the ability to turn the customers they serve into advocates. They don't directly ask for assistance, they do it by going the extra mile when providing service. It is only natural for satisfied customers to refer their friends and business associates to someone they know they can trust to take good care of them.
Your ability to provide quality service after the sale is critical in developing "lifetime relationships" with your customers. Top salespeople have learned that the key to their success is "service with a smile." They understand that their referrals and follow on business is in direct relationship to the service they render on a daily basis.
Here's how you can do it:
1. Always under promise and over deliver. Develop a reputation for reliability; never make a promise that you can't deliver.
2. Stay in contact and keep good records. Consider sending a personal note or an article of interest once or twice per year.
3. Pay attention to the small things. Get in the habit of returning phone calls, e-mails and other correspondence quickly.
4. Give your customers a promotional gift. You might want to consider sending them a book, or any gift with your picture and contact information.
5. Establish a feedback system to find out how your customers perceive the quality and quantity of the service you provide.
Gordon Goh is author of the free, informative website Simply Motivation offering quality useful tips for Motivation.