There is a story, about a business owner who wasn't doing very well. She had no business plan, but had heard, quite a bit, how creating one would help.
So she moved 3000 miles from "home" and three months later, came across an all day business plan seminar that had a profound effect on her life and business. It was taught by Jim Horan. Three years later, she taught the class in same exact place. This is a very true "story".
So never start with a blank page. Create your One Page Plan soon to help your business. And once you've created it, it's simple to update!
1. Choose opportunities more wisely and waste less time because I have my plan in place (P 6)
2. A single page can contain all the elements you need to tell your employees, board of directors, potential partners or banker where you are taking your business and how you are going to get there. (P 17)
3. The most important reason to have a business plan is to clarify your thinking, regardless of the size of your company (P 18)
4. It facilitates creating and analytical thinking, problem solving, communication, and teamwork. (P 18)
5. It creates hope and enthusiasm about the future. (P 18)
6. It also brings out procrastination, frustration, differences of opinions and possibly anger. (P 18)
7. Somehow writing initiates the transformation from idea to reality. (P 21)
8. The written word produces a contract with yourself that results in immediate action. (P 21)
9. Writing allows others to participate in your dream and give you feedback (P 21)
10. Because your coach, consultant, business builder strategist, friend, relative tells you that one of the top reasons businesses fail is a lack of planning! That's why!
Quotes 1-9 are from the One Page Business Plan Book, by Jim Horan. http://tinyurl.com/4woy2
? 2005 Elevating Your Business. The One Page Business changed the way I did business and it will help you, too. Learn more and download a sample Vision Statement template at http://www.coachmaria.com/events/onepage.html