We all know that running a home business is highly satisfying, and at times downright liberating! No clock to punch, no dress code, and best of all, no boss to answer to. But there are also many facets of business ownership that entrepreneurs must stay on top of. One of those is keeping the expense to income ratio in balance. Below are seven painless ways to do just that.
1. To save on costly ink cartridges, print in draft mode, unless the printout is for a client or will be reproduced.
2. After spending your hard earned money on those ink cartridges, turn them into a free ream of paper! Many office supply stores offer a free ream of copy paper when you recycle a used ink cartridge at their store. Ask your local office supply store if they offer this service to their customers.
3. Make that free paper last twice as long. How many times have you printed something without spell checking it first? Use the back of those misprints for making lists and jotting down ideas. Another way to keep paper use down is to utilize the annoying sheets that often print out last with just a small ad or footer on them. Turn them over and print on the blank side.
4. Apply for a cash back/rewards credit card. Using one credit card for all of your business purchases simplifies bookkeeping and makes categorizing expenses at tax time a lot easier. Why not earn rewards such as airline miles or restaurant gift certificates, or even better- cash, on purchases you have to make anyway? Just be sure to fully read the fine print concerning interest charges and late fees. Or pay off the balance each month and avoid both!
5. Compare prices on internet service providers. Some companies offer a discount when internet access is bundled with cable or phone service. If you are really happy with your current ISP, call and ask if they are offering any promotions that you can take advantage of.
6. Network with other home business owners and offer to barter goods or services. If you own a gift basket business, assemble baskets featuring a direct sales consultant's products, and customers are purchasing from both of you at once. A bookkeeper can trade services with a web page designer. The possibilities are endless. You just have to ask.
7. For low cost advertising, contact organizations holding charity auctions or raffles. You supply the prize, whether it's jewelry or web hosting, and in return you receive exposure for your business and pleasure in donating to a worthy cause.
Paige Pate Hall is a work from home mom and Independent Consultant for Azante Jewelry, a company specializing in handcrafted sterling silver and beaded jewelry.