Creating a website is one thing, making it better is another. Matt shares 7 steps to help you gain a better website.
1. Update your content. Stale content will certainly drive your regular visitors away. Add fresh content at least twice a week; couple relevant feed with ezine articles if you are not particularly adept at writing.
2. Swap out pictures. Freshen your photographs regularly. Add new pictures, toss old ones that are no longer relevant.
3. Overhaul your site. No, you need not gut your site, instead create a new template and move your current information over. Do this at least once per year.
4. Add a forum. If your site is geared toward one particular topic, consider adding a forum to generate additional traffic. Count the cost as forums can be real time eater.
5. Add a storefront. OS Commerce offers a free, easy to use storefront. Couple it with Paypal, hire a dropshipper, and you are ready to go.
6. Go after advertisers. Besides the usual PPC schemes, sell banner advertising space to companies. Make sure the ads are relevant to your visitors.
7. Run contests. Give something away on a regular basis and your guests will know that you have a "happening" site.
By being proactive with your site, you will gain a regular supply of new visitors, retain your regulars, and make some money in the process. Keep your site interesing, informative, and fun; grow what you own or risk getting beat out by someone much more motivated than you.
Matt regularly refreshens his 15+ sites and he constantly is looking for ways to generate new traffic. Samples of two of his sites are here: