No matter what type of home-based business you operate, chances are ebooks are already or should be part of it. Most of us are familiar with the term and probably have seen at least one ebook, but you may not have realized how beneficial they could be for your business.
Ebooks do have a number of benefits:
1) Affordable to Create
Unlike many products, ebooks can be produced inexpensively. They don't require expensive materials or equipment.
2) Inexpensive to Distribute
With most products, you have to cover some of the shipping costs and those costs can be considerable. Ebooks are accessed by the customer directly from the Internet, so no shipping charges are involved.
3) Appeal to a Wide Audience
Ebooks can be designed to attract almost any type of customers. Because you control the topics of your ebook, you decide who to target. If you sell educational children's toys, you could develop an ebook for parents. If you sell copywriting services, you could create ebooks on how to write successful content.
4) Increased Credibility
When you put your ideas and advice in book form for people to buy and read, you are selling yourself as an expert they can trust. When people trust you, they are more likely to buy from you.
5) High Profit Potential
Ebooks cost little to create and to distribute, but customers perceive them as being highly valuable so you can charge more for them than you might expect. Prices between $20 to $50 for an ebook are not uncommon and almost every penny of that revenue is your profit.
Ebooks are one product that can serve a multitude of purposes. For one, they do make excellent additions to your product catalog. They can also be offered as free gifts to entice customers to purchase from you.
You can use them as marketing tools through affiliate programs, contests, and more. Ebooks can also be transformed into audio cassettes or other multimedia information products to further increase your profits. Try doing all of that with any other type of product.
As you can see, ebooks are truly packed with benefits. They are an asset to any type of home-based business whether they are used to increase revenue or bring in more business.
So how do you create an ebook that will allow you to take advantage of all of these benefits? You'll find the answers below:
1) Writing the ebook - Some ebook creators choose to write their own ebooks. While this is the most cost-effective option, it does require a great deal of time and confidence in your writing skills. Another option is to hire a freelance writer who can do the work for you. The work will be completed faster and you can be assured of having high-quality copy in your ebook.
2) Designing the ebook - Ebooks can be fairly straightforward in their design, but for maximum effectiveness, they do need a few graphical touches. If you're not an artist and don't
already own some sort of desktop publishing software, you can use ready-made templates that work with Microsoft Word, such as Word Ebook Templates available at (http://www.ebookgraphics.com/mytemplates2.html) or a program such as Ebook Composer (available at http://ebook-composer.com) which also allows you to add multimedia effects to your ebooks.
3) Compiling the ebook - If you already have Adobe Acrobat on your computer, then it can effectively compile all of your pages into an ebook. However, other compilers are also available for purchase.
Prices on these programs vary but most of the costs will be recouped after you sell only one or two ebooks. Some examples of compiler programs are Activ E-book Composer (http://www.ebookcompiler.com) and E-ditor (http://www.nukanweb.com/ebooks/editorial2/editor2.html).
4) Creating an ebook cover - The last stage of your ebook's development is putting together a graphic for your virtual front cover. This cover makes your book look more professional and more eye-catching, so it will appeal to more people and sell more copies.
You don't need to be an artist or design whiz to create one either. There are a variety of programs available which will do it for you, such as eCover Studio (http://www.ecoverstudio.com) and eCover Generator (http://www.ecovergenerator.com).
Not all of these programs are necessary to create a successful ebook, but they can definitely be of assistance. Purchasing them can set you back a few dollars, however, but you'll regain that investment and more quite quickly, especially if you plan on creating multiple ebooks.
No matter how you create your ebook or what uses you find for it, chances are ebooks will quickly become a welcome addition to your home-based business.
Vishal P. Rao is the owner of: http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/
An online community of people who work at home.