If you are a regular user of prescription medications, you know that these drugs can be costly to purchase. Cutting back on drugs can be dangerous to your health, but if you are on a fixed income your choices can seem limited. Let's look at some cost effective ways for you to slash your prescription costs.
1. Go generic. Many medications prescribed are for name brand drugs. Ask your doctor if he or she can substitute a generic drug which can lower your costs significantly.
2. Split the pill. If you have been prescribed 40 mg of a drug and only need 20 mg consider investing in a pill splitter. You can reduce your costs significantly especially if the price difference between the two strengths is minimal; check with your pharmacist to make sure that the drug will not lose effectiveness if it is split.
3. Shop in Canada. Regulated pharmacies based in Canada tout their lower prescription costs to American consumers via the internet. Not all drugs are lower, especially when including shipping and handling cost, however.
4. Assistance programs. Many pharmaceutical companies offer drug assistance programs for users of their products. Contact the maker of your medication directly for assistance.
5. Go big. Purchasing a two month supply can be much more cost effective than purchasing a one month supply. Check to see if your insurance company permits this practice.
6. Shop around. Compare prices between pharmacies including online providers.
7. Government assistance. You may be eligible for special assistance through government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
8. Coupons. Occasionally, companies give away free samples of their products or will give you money saving coupons. Check with your doctor about getting free samples too.
You can save money on prescription drugs with a little bit of pluck and with plenty of determination. Shop wisely and you will be certain to save money in this day of ever spiraling health costs.
Matthew Keegan is The Article Writer who writes on just about any and every issue imaginable. You can preview samples from his high performing site at http://www.thearticlewriter.com